Have You Been in a Bus Accident?
Buses are a standard mode of transportation in the country. While they are generally safe, accidents do happen. The United States Bureau of Transportation reported 4,836 injuries and 102 fatalities from bus accidents in 2021 alone.
You may be wondering about your legal options if you have been injured in a bus accident. We will provide an overview of bus accident lawsuits in New Jersey, including the process of filing a claim and what you can expect in terms of the settlement.
Has a NJ Transit Bus Hit You or Your Vehicle?
Many New Jersey residents rely heavily on public buses and light rail services. The New Jersey Transit is the state’s most significant transportation service provider.
However, while many experience issues with the transport system stem only from missed trips, several high-profile bus accidents involving NJ transit have occurred in recent years. If you are involved in a bus accident, you have a high chance of sustaining severe injuries that require expensive medical attention and time off from work to recover. Between hospital bills, lost wages, and property damage, this can put you in the red scarily fast.
Hiring an experienced New Jersey bus accident attorney can help you navigate the intricate legal process and negotiate the best compensation for your case.
Here’s How to Get a NJ Transit Lawsuit Settlement in New Jersey
As mentioned above, the NJ transit system has recently been involved in several high-profile cases. This includes a multi-million dollar fraud case involving missed bus trips and falsified bus trip numbers from the Academy Bus company, and multi-million dollar settlements from bus driver error that caused severe injuries to pedestrians including amputations and death.
Standing up against an established state-owned transportation system may seem daunting to many. However, the success of these lawsuits proves that anyone can level the playing field against these systems with adequate representation.
If you have been involved in an NJ transit bus accident, here are the steps you need to take to prepare transit lawsuit claims against reckless bus drivers and get paid the money you deserve:
- Immediately diary the 90-day time period to file a Tort Claims Notice with New Jersey Transit. Failure to properly notify New Jersey Transit of your incident within this legally required time period can prevent you from ever making a claim.
- Hold on to any paperwork or evidence you may have, such as medical bills, police reports, and eyewitness accounts. All of these will solidify your case.
- Take pictures of any injuries and property damage. This will prove the extent of the damages so the defendant can’t get away with low-ball settlements.
- Do not speak to anyone involved in the accident. The insurance company may try to get you to give a statement, but the other party could use this against you later.
- Contact the experienced attorneys at Rossetti, DeVoto, Medori & Baxter PC. Our NJ transit train and bus attorneys will help you navigate the legal process, file the proper Tort Claim Notice within 90 days, and negotiate the best settlement agreement.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Transit Bus Accident Attorneys at Rossetti, DeVoto, Medori & Baxter PC.
If you have been involved in a bus accident, the experienced attorneys at Rossetti, DeVoto, Medori & Baxter can fight for your right to the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Trying to learn more about accident law in New Jersey? We recommend you browse our articles and enjoy unlimited access to our top-notch and legally-vetted content.